Treat Employees Right and Reap The Benefits
When you treat employees right,
you increase their motivation. You do not have to worry whether or not they will attend to your customers' needs. If you look after their well being, they will look after your business.
There are other benefits you can get by
managing your employees well.
Employees cannot give their best if -
- They are not committed and engaged in doing their jobs on a daily basis;
- They are not motivated to perform better;
- They are made to perform tasks beyond what is reasonable thus negatively affecting their work-family balance;
- They have apprehension on the security of their positions in your organization;
- They are dissatisfied with the way you are managing the performance management system;
- You dismiss employees' problems as not important enough to spend time to look into them;
- Your organization is making employees demoralized due to the continuing presence of "dead wood" employees; and
- Employees do not see any possibility of moving up in their
These are only some of the "signs" that call your attention to treat employees right.
Failure to treat employees right make them feel unappreciated and unimportant. They find it hard to develop a sense of belonging. This negatively affects their commitment and the quality of their work. Their productivity will suffer with negative effects on your organization's productivity.
The worst thing that can happen if you do not treat people right is that they will leave for good. You will do not want this to happen. When good employees leave, some customers will also go away. This can also influence other employees to reconsider their employment with your organization.
A poorly conducted performance appraisal will not escape scrutiny by employees with dire or undesirable consequences. The negative effects become more pronounced when bad performance appraisal system is linked to a compensation system that rewards the wrong people.
Some of the things you can do to treat employees right
- Outstanding performance cries for the
the right rewards. Give reward for the right employee behavior.
You may need to take timely action to improve poor performance. Where it is practically impossible to change behavior, it is reasonable and proper to initiate
to terminate the service of such problematic employees. If not, good employees will lose their
They will lose their trust in the system and ultimately in your organization.
- Make jobs more interesting and challenging. Ask for feedback from employees in order to do this right. Employee feedback is necessary.
Ensure that multi-tasking will not become the excuse to overload employees with too much work and as a way to avoid recruiting new employees.
Excessive multi-tasking can result in abuse of employees.
- In addition, treat no problem as being too insignificant. Deal with every employee-related issue in the same way you treat any problem that affects your business operations.
If you fail to take timely action to manage or eliminate issues affecting employees, they cannot continue to provide satisfactory service to your customers.
At the end of the day, if you do not treat employees right, they will either lose their motivation or they will eventually leave. If good employees leave, your organization loses talents which will lead to more worker-related problems. This can prove expensive.
Follow Strategic HR Blog at Twitter
To Home Page