Equip Yourself and Your People with the Right Leadership Attributes
Leadership attributes of the right type will go a long way in helping people in authority bring management and people together to achieve greater organizational success.
Your organization needs corporate leaders having the required leadership characteristics.
This refers to the leadership qualities or leadership traits that make a good and effective leader.
"Attribute" means quality, characteristic, trait or value.
People differ in their opion on leadership attributes
Indeed, they were talking good leadership qualities, that is, the values that a leader must have.
"The Six Essential Leadership Attributes (2005)," by John Di Frances are:
- Setting high standards;
- Living your standards and Mentoring those who follow;
- Creating and sharing a Vision;
- Making the hard choices when necessary;
- Being visible and out front, and
- Instilling hope in those who follow.
Greg Roworth lists seven attributes that a leader must have to develop a business. These are:
- Vision that drives the leader;
- Entrepreneur that creates the business;
- Inspires others to achieve the vision;
- Sets standards of performance;
- Orchestrator of methods to organize business well;
- Understands and motivates people, both employees and customers; and
- Measures results to determine progress in achieving results.
But to Howard Putman, there are ten leadership attributes, namely:
- Honesty and integrity;
- Excellent listener;
- No arrogance, ego or exclusion;
- Embrace change;
- International mentality withe referrence to diverse cultures and thinking cross functionally;
- Grasp for the value of technology;
- Education and experience, and
- People leader and flexible thinker.
Shirland Carrington lists eleven attributes as being critical to leadership development.
- Unwavering courage;
- A keen sense of justice;
- Definiteness of decision;
- Definiteness of plans;
- The habit of doing more than paid for
- A pleasing personality
- Sympathy and understanding
- Mastery of detail;
- Willingness to assume full responsibility; and
Three of them list "Vision" as an attribute indicating the comparative importance of having a leader with clear vision of the organization.
There are also attributes required when interviewing people.
Here, Herrera pays attention to "The Seven Attributes of Leadership."
- Passion, and
There are leadership attributes that convey similar or the same meaning or are intended to achieve the same goals.
Even if there are differences in the attributes, the objectives are the same. This is to help develop people to become better leaders.
Corporate leaders of the right attributes are sought for by serious organizations.
Leadership Skills Improvement
As a person in a position of authority, you need to learn to become a more effective leader in whatever field you are involved in. Make the effort to attend the right training.
It was stated by Robert Alan that
"At one time or another, everyone chooses or is asked to be a leader. With training and understanding, we can all be better leaders when we are called to be in a leadership position.
Take advantage of available online leadership training.
Let us ponder on what Peter F. Drucker said about leadership.
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
This means that leaders are action-oriented people.
So what good can you derive from leadership attributes even if these are considered good?
How do true leaders see problems?
Charles F. Kettering said:
"Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble. Good news weakens me."
You can attain the level of leadership quality required of you with the right orientation, attitudes and support from the right mentors.
Link to my eBookstore at Amazon.com
To Home Page